At IU, what are Exchange accounts, and how do I get one?Using the Microsoft Exchange service, IU Exchange accounts provide email, calendaring and scheduling, and other administrative activities (e.g., contact lists, to-do lists, tasks) for faculty, full-time and part-time staff, IU affiliates, and some graduate students. UITS recommends the Microsoft Outlook email client for access to IU Exchange accounts; Outlook supports all of the services available via IU Exchange. Additionally, Outlook Web App provides a web-based interface for access to your IU Exchange account.
If you are eligible for an Exchange account, you can get one when you create your first IU computing accounts; see About creating first computing accounts for admitted students, faculty, staff, and affiliates. To get an Exchange account if you already have IU computing accounts, go to the Account Management Service at:https://itaccounts.iu.edu/
Manage my IU computing accounts. Log in with your
Network ID (if necessary), click
Continue, and then click
create more accounts. Follow the instructions on the page to
finish creating your Exchange account.
If you cannot create an Exchange account using AMS, a full-time staff or faculty sponsor must submit a request for you to the Accounts Administration office (At IPFW, contact your campus Support Center). All requests need to meet the following criteria:
- The email request is sent from the sponsor's account.
- The message clearly states the request for an Exchange account.
- The request includes the new account holder's username and university status.
Important: When you create an Exchange account, all mail coming from other IU Exchange users goes directly to your Exchange account, ignoring your preferred address. To avoid overlooking mail that may be in your Exchange account, you can do any of the following:
- Frequently check your Exchange account.
- Set your preferred address to your new Exchange account; see At IU, how do I choose or change my primary email address and preferred email service?
- Set a forwarding rule on the Exchange server using the Outlook Rules Wizard; see In Microsoft Outlook for Windows, or in Outlook Web App (OWA), how do I automatically forward all of my IU email to another address?