Indiana University

Applying for your SDA or RFS account

Note: To keep pace with the growing needs of Indiana University researchers, Research File System (RFS) storage will be migrating in the near future from OpenAFS to a new technology from DataDirect Networks, Inc. (DDN), based on the General Parallel File System (GPFS). For more, see Information about upcoming changes to the Research File System at IU.

To request an account on the Scholarly Data Archive (SDA) or Research File System (RFS), use the Account Management Service (AMS):

  • For instructions on requesting an individual SDA or RFS account, see Instructions for getting additional computing accounts at IU

  • For instructions on requesting an SDA or RFS account for an IU group or department, see Requesting a departmental or group account.

    Note: In accordance with standards for access control mandated by the HIPAA Security Rule, you are not permitted to access ePHI data using a group (or departmental) account. To ensure accountability and enable only authorized users to access ePHI data, IU researchers must use their personal Network ID credentials for all work involving ePHI data.

After submitting your account request, UITS will notify you via email when your account is ready for use.

For eligibility requirements, see the "Research system accounts (all campuses)" section in Account availability and eligibility

Note: If an account that you want does not appear to be available, contact your campus computing Support Center. Sometimes, accounts for which you are eligible may not appear in the Account Management Service; in those cases, the Support Center can create those manually for you.

For more information about distributed storage services at Indiana University, visit the Pervasive Technology Institute's Research Storage page.