In IU Webmail, how do I delete messages?
Important: UITS is preparing to retire the Cyrus (Webmail) service, and users can no longer create new Cyrus accounts. Current users are not affected at this time, and will be given at least six months' notice before Cyrus is discontinued. For more information, see About the Cyrus (Webmail) retirement.
In IU Webmail, to delete a message, mark it as deleted, and then purge it from your account, as follows:
- Mark one or more messages as deleted:
- While reading a message, in the upper left corner of the screen,
Delete. The message you were reading will be marked as deleted, and the next message in the list will then be displayed. To return to the list of messages, in the header bar at the top of the screen, click
- While in the list of messages, to mark multiple messages for
deletion, check the box next to each message you wish to delete. Then,
immediately above or below the column of checkboxes, click
- While reading a message, in the upper left corner of the screen, click
- The messages will still appear in your Inbox listing, but each
will have a line through it to indicate that you have marked it for
To remove the deletion mark from a message, check the box to the left of the message you wish to save, and then, immediately above or below the column of checkboxes, click
- To remove the marked messages from your account, on the right side
of the screen, click
Purge Deleted. This will permanently remove the messages from your Inbox listing and from your account.
Note: When you transfer a message from your Inbox to
another folder, it will still appear in your Inbox listing, marked as
deleted as in the steps above. In this case, when you click
Deleted, the message will only be removed from your Inbox and
placed in the other folder. It will not be completely deleted from