Technology Center Consulting job opportunities at IUB and IUPUI
On this page:
- Consultant job description
- Apply online
- Policy notice
- Employee handbook
- Map of STC labs
Consultant job description
At Indiana University Bloomington and IUPUI, under general supervision, TCC consultants:
- Provide technical assistance in the UITS Consulting Services Mission areas on a demand basis
- Provide direct assistance to customers of the Student Computing Labs (STCs) for questions relating to software, hardware, and computer peripheral equipment
- Maintain lab environments that support the academic mission of university students
- Provide direct assistance to campus housing residents in acquiring and maintaining their connection to the university computer network
- Provide assistance to campus housing residents in the security of their personally owned computers, including the removal of malicious software and the installation of antivirus software
In addition, consultants are required to demonstrate exemplary interpersonal communication skills and professionalism at all times, and support and comply with all Indiana University, UITS, and TCC policies and procedures.
Specific consultant responsibilities include:
- Adhering to the Acceptable Use Agreement for employees and university-wide Information & IT Policies
- Answering customer questions regarding hardware, software, and supplies
- Monitoring TCC lab equipment and supply conditions during assigned shifts
- Participating as a team member by providing operational information to UITS regarding customer needs and conditions of hardware, software, and supplies in the labs
- Creating, monitoring, and updating information in UITS reporting systems
- Facilitating efficient customer access to equipment by administering procedures and policies
- Performing walks through assigned labs every 15 minutes, and checking destination labs according to procedures
- Stocking printers with paper and toner and conducting standard printer maintenance as needed
- Maintaining the lab in a clean condition that is conducive to academic pursuits
- Entering customer contacts regularly during assigned shifts
- Using TCC online chat and other communication channels during shifts to communicate with other consultants and help answer their questions
- Reading announcements posted to the TCC TETRA web pages during every shift
- Reading work-related email a minimum of once every 48 hours
- Completing assigned training projects
- Assisting the TCC consultant supervisors with projects as requested
- Attending meetings as scheduled
- Contacting all customers with open tickets during shifts and making appropriate notes on each ticket
- Assisting residents with their Ethernet and wireless network connections
- Installing spyware and virus removal software
In support of these responsibilities, consultants will learn and implement all lab procedures, and will develop and maintain a satisfactory level of expertise in applications and a proactive ownership of customer support issues.
- Proactive customer service attitude
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills
- Professional attitude and demeanor
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- At least one year of related customer service experience
- Computing skills across the Windows and Mac platforms, including operating systems and applications
- Commitment to working a minimum of 12 hours per week
- IU student enrolled in six or more credit hours, or currently enrolled Ivy Tech student
All TCC consultants are required to work a minimum of 12 hours per week. Consultants are assigned shifts at the beginning of each semester, based on consultant availability. TCC is open to customers 24 hours a day, 7 days a week; therefore, a wide variety of shifts is available, and there is an easy process to find substitutions for unforeseen exceptions.
During the first semester of employment, TCC consultants are paid $8.25 per hour 8am-midnight, and $9.92 per hour midnight-8am. Upon successful completion of one full semester, consultants receive a pay raise of $0.50 per hour.
IU part-time staff are paid on an hourly, biweekly basis, with no remission of academic fees and no commitment to continuous employment.
TCC also hires for Federal Work-Study positions.
To apply for a TCC position at IUB, complete the IUB Application for Consultant Position.
To apply for a TCC position at IUPUI, complete the IUPUI Application for Consultant Position.
Notice: Indiana University is an Equal Opportunity/Equal Access/Affirmative Action institution. IU intends to maintain an alcohol- and drug-free workplace and to comply with the Drug Free Workplace Act of 1988 and its amendments. To that end, all employees must comply with the university's Substance Free Workplace policy. Policy statements and crime and fire statistics for Indiana University campuses are available at Annual Security & Fire Safety Reports.
For more, see the hourly consultant Handbook.
Map of STC labs
To view the locations of STC labs at IUB, use the STC lab finder.
To view the locations of STC labs at IUPUI, see Student Technology
Centers. To learn more, contact