This fall, we are bringing you a major refresh of our website. Visit the beta now:

Try the beta
Indiana University

At IU, what happens to my student computing accounts when I graduate, leave the university, transfer to another campus, or study abroad?

Note: For information about termination of former employee computing accounts, see What happens to my employee computing accounts when I leave IU?

On this page:

Leaving IU

At Indiana University, your student computing accounts remain active as long as you are enrolled at any IU campus. After two consecutive terms (fall, spring, and summer are each considered one term) during which you are not enrolled in any courses through the IU registrar, you will be notified by email and given a seven-day window before your accounts are disabled.

When your accounts are disabled, you will be unable to access them, although UITS will temporarily retain their associated files, including email messages. (You will retain access to some services, such as your bursar bill, unofficial transcripts, and financial aid; see At IU, how can former students access bills, transcripts, and other university information?) After approximately five years without further enrollment, your Network ID will be deleted, unless you're registered with the Indiana University Alumni Association.

Important: UITS is preparing to retire the Imail service, and users can no longer create new Imail accounts. Current users are not affected at this time, and will be given at least six months' notice before Imail is discontinued. For more, see About the Imail retirement.

If you would like to keep an IU email account, UITS recommends that you switch to Umail before leaving IU.

For specific information regarding access to various IU accounts after leaving IU, see IU account access chart for non-enrolled students.

Back to top

Transferring to another IU campus

If you have been a student at one IU campus and transfer to another:

  • You will be able to use your existing ADS account to log into IU Student Technology Center (STC) computers.

  • You can use your Network ID to log into Oncourse and other campus web sites.

  • You can continue to use your existing email account to send and receive mail. You can also create an email address that corresponds to your new campus (e.g.,  @indiana.edu  at IU Bloomington, or  @iupui.edu  at IUPUI); see How do I create a new IU email address?

Back to top

Studying abroad or off campus

If you will study abroad through the Office of Overseas Study, you do not need to do anything to maintain your accounts.

If you have made other arrangements to study abroad or off campus for more than two consecutive semesters, a full-time faculty or staff sponsor must complete the Affiliate form using the Account Management Service (AMS); see About sponsoring a computing account for an IU affiliate.

Back to top

Called to active military service

If you are unexpectedly called to active military service, you may be eligible for a military leave of absence, in which case you can retain your active Indiana University computing accounts.

For help requesting a military leave of absence, contact your campus Veteran Support Services or Office of the Registrar:

For more about military leave at IUB, see the Office of the Registrar's Reserves Called to Active Duty Policy.

Back to top