IU computing accounts for new students
Before you can register for classes as a new student at Indiana University, you'll need to create IU computing accounts for email, file storage, and network access; without them, you will experience delays in registration.
If you have not created IU computing accounts:
Run the Starter Kit, as detailed below.
If you created an IU username to track your application before you
were admitted but created no further accounts after receiving
your admission letter, your username by itself will
not allow you to register; you must run the Starter
Kit to create your accounts.
- If you have already created IU computing accounts: If you created IU computing accounts after receiving your admission letter, you should be able to register. To be certain, see the Verifying your accounts section below.
You cannot register for classes without your username and passphrase; memorize them before new student orientation.
If you have problems creating your accounts, contact your campus Support Center.
Running the Starter Kit
Note: You will need your 10-digit University ID number to create your computing accounts. This number is in your IU admission letter.
- From the OneStart page,
Don't have an account?.
Create my first IU computing accounts and passphrase.
- Enter your last name, date of birth, and University ID number in
the fields provided. Click
- The Account Management Service (AMS) will display the
rules and policies for IT account use at IU. Read the document,
Yesto agree to these policies, and then click
- Select the type of IU email account you'd prefer. IU students
can choose either an Imail account (Microsoft) or a
Umail account (Google).
- Enter the passphrase you want to use in both fields. Click
Note: If you had already created an IU username to track your application, you will not need to create a new passphrase.
- The following pages will enroll you in the Self-Service
Passphrase Reset system, which will allow you to reset your
passphrase yourself, should you forget it, without having to visit a
Support Center walk-in location in person.
Select a question from the drop-down list, and then type and re-type the correct answer in the fields provided. Click
Continueto enter further questions, to a maximum of ten.
Once you have entered at least three questions and answers, you will have the option of clicking
Doneto complete your enrollment.
- You will see a confirmation page with a summary of your new
Print pageif you want to print a copy of your account information. To end your AMS session and close your browser, click
After you have run the Starter Kit, you may wish to verify that your accounts have been successfully created; see below.
Verifying your accounts
Note: After running the Starter Kit, wait at least 20 minutes before attempting to verify your accounts, to allow the systems enough time to process them.
- Go to the AMS, and
Manage my IU computing accounts.
- If you are prompted to log into the Central Authentication
Service (CAS), enter your username and passphrase. If not,
skip to the next step.
view your accounts. The following accounts should be listed as "Created":
- Active Directory Service
- The email account(s) you selected (Imail, Umail)
If, after you have attempted to create your accounts, these are not listed, contact your campus Support Center.