Resources for hiring, supplemental pay requests, and hourly employee policies
Email us your questions about payroll, hourly employment, or paid time off (PTO).
Everyone wants to get paid, and the Finance Office provides resources to ensure newly hired staff meet payroll enrollment deadlines. New UITS employees must complete and submit all requisite paperwork and documentation to the Finance Office no later than two weeks prior to the hire-effective date.
I-9 forms are federally mandated for all new hires. To complete the I-9, employees should bring one document from list A or a combination of one document from list B and one document from list C with them on their first day of employment.
- List A: Documents that establish both identity and employment authorization
- List B: Documents that establish identity
- List C: Documents that establish employment authorization
Note: International students seeking employment need to bring a valid passport, IU Work Authorization card, and the J-1 or F-1 certificate.
UITS managers and supervisors are responsible for overseeing policies for temporary employees.
- New hire forms: Temporary employees must complete an hourly application for each job. If they are not currently employed at the university, they must also complete a PED and background check.
- Temporary action application (formerly HAA): Modify pay rates of existing employees, assign hourly status to new employees, or request other personnel changes
- Temporary personnel reports: Review the start dates, object codes, or other information
- Temporary timesheet: Use this timesheet to record work hours if Kuali Time is unavailable or another eDoc issue arises
Mobile Allowance Request
Some employees may require a mobile device and service to perform job duties when away from the office. Employees in appointed positions may request a mobile device allowance that meets University policy and UITS guidelines. Approved requests will be processed as soon as possible.
Leaves & time off
- Paid time off (PTO): In accordance with IU policy, PTO is available to all UITS professional staff. The university offers PTO as a means to give full-time employees the opportunity to tend to personal matters or take a break from work.
- Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA): Grants staff the possibility of extended time off in special circumstances such as adoption or child-birth, serious health conditions for employees and their families, or military leave. Learn more about FMLA rights.
Maximum PTO policy
UITS policy does not allow for staff to claim more than 40 hours of PTO in a single week, even if their regularly scheduled hours exceed that amount. Professional staff members may choose to work for more than 40 hours per week but are not eligible for overtime pay.
Drop off your hiring documentation at one of our campus locations:
CIB 207 (IU Bloomington)
ICTC 334E (IUPUI)
Monday and Wednesday
*access restricted to Finance Office employees