Processes to make or request purchases through the university
Make a purchase
University employees can purchase items using four different methods:
- Shop catalogs
- Creating a requisition
- Procurement cards (p-cards)
- Disbursement vouchers
The Purchase-to-Pay flowchart provides more information about how the UITS purchasing process works.
Please note: Requisitions initiated totaling $25,000 to $99,999 require the review and approval of the corresponding UITS Associate Vice President (AVP). If this approval is not indicated within the document notes or routing, a Finance Office team member will contact the AVP to request their review and approval. Requisitions initiated totaling $100,000 and above require a UITS VP/Div Leads Proposal documenting the details of the expenditure. Please work with the relevant AVP to complete and submit a proposal for UITS VP/Div Leads review and approval.
To learn more, review the Office of Procurement Service's training guides.
IU Purchasing maintains established contracts with many vendors for discount goods and services. The contracts and consolidation allow IU to negotiate agreements, greater discounts, better service, and additional guarantees.
- If there isn't an established agreement, faculty and staff may use P-cards or request reimbursements for goods, but must follow IU P-card policies and UITS P-card procedures linked below.
- The Finance Office audits all transactions for non-compliance
Visit UITS P-card procedures for additional P-card information, revised July 1st 2018.
Request for Funding
All proposals for new or additional funding must include the following information:
- Problem statement
- Recommendation of actions
- Policy development or modification
- Implementation planning, timelines, and details
- Hardware (e.g., dedicated hardware, use of Intelligent Infrastructure)
- Operating system
- Application layers and the unit(s) responsible for installation, management, and tier level support
- Funding needs and sources
- Enterprise standards
- Author and unit name
Directions for routing and approval are included in the proposal form.
Note: Purchase requests for distribution to vendors requires approval by the submitter's manager, director, and the UITS Finance Office.
Hospitality expenses are those incurred to provide meals, refreshments, entertainment, or for other promotional purposes. Examples of allowable hospitality expenses include, meals and refreshments served during business meetings, receptions, and other university functions. Please note, hospitality expenses are only allowable at IU events with a bona fide business purpose. All UITS hospitality requests should include an explanation of this business purpose. Please see this link for detailed information regarding allowable hospitality expenses.
- Hospitality Request Form
- Note: Hospitality expense is not permitted on IU accounts that begin with 66.