Processes to make or request purchases through the university
Make a purchase - BUY.IU and more
As of July 1, 2019, university employees will have the ability to make purchases using two methods:
- Procurement cards (PCards)
Questions and issues encountered while using BUY.IU should be submitted through the BUY.IU Support Form.
Please note: Sub-Acct approval routing is not an option in BUY.IU. BUY.IU requisitions submitted will route directly to the UITS Finance Office for approval. Once approved, these orders will then route to IU Purchasing for creation of the PO.
Currently, the UITS Finance Office will send an e-mail notification to the UITS Sub-Acct Manager upon their approval of the requisition. This e-mailed notification will be generated directly from the BUY.IU system and will originate from the e-mail address firstname.lastname@example.org. These notifications will include a link to the requisition document in BUY.IU.
Looking ahead, the UITS Enterprise Financial Systems team and Finance Office is working on an alternative solution to notify UITS Sub-Acct Managers of purchasing activity on their sub-accounts. This will include configuring personalized dashboard applications within BUY.IU that will be used by Sub-Acct Mangagers to monitor all purchases on their sub-accts. This may replace the need for e-mail notifications and allow consolidated monitoring of purchases made on UITS Sub-Accts.
The additional approval requirements below will remain in effect with the use of BUY.IU:
Requisitions initiated totaling $25,000 to $99,999 require the review and approval of the corresponding UITS Associate Vice President (AVP). If this approval is not indicated within the document notes or routing, a Finance Office team member will contact the AVP to request their review and approval.
Requisitions initiated totaling $100,000 and above require a UITS VP/Div Leads Proposal documenting the details of the expenditure. Please work with the relevant AVP to complete and submit a proposal for UITS VP/Div Leads review and approval.
Please contact the UITS Accounts Payable team with specific UITS related questions about BUY.IU.
Receiving in BUY.IU
Creation of a Quantity or Cost Receipt document is required in BUY.IU when the following criteria apply:
- When an item is received as all or part of a BUY.IU purchase order which has a total PO amount >=$5,000, a BUY.IU Quantity or Cost Receipt is required.Please note: A BUY.IU Quantity Reciept is required, with the exception of Capital Assets. Capital assets require the completion of a Cost Receipt in BUY.IU.
- When the related PO is designated as a Recurring Order, invoices >=$5,000 require completion of a BUY.IU Cost Receipt.
When the proper BUY.IU receipt document has not been created, an invoice requiring receiving in order to be paid will then route to the BUY.IU fiscal approval workflow stop for review and approval. This could delay timely payment to the supplier.
See this link for a PDF document detailing the invoicing and receipt processes within BUY.IU.
IU Purchasing maintains established contracts with many vendors for discount goods and services. The contracts and consolidation allow IU to negotiate agreements, greater discounts, better service, and additional guarantees.
- If there isn't an established agreement, faculty and staff may use P-cards or request reimbursements for goods, but must follow IU P-card policies and UITS P-card procedures linked below.
- PCard Restriced Items list. In addtioin to the the items on this list, all items unallowable per IU policy are restricted from purchase.
- The Finance Office audits all transactions for non-compliance.
Visit UITS P-card procedures for additional P-card information, revised July 1, 2018.
Request for Funding
All proposals for new or additional funding must include the following information:
- Problem statement
- Recommendation of actions
- Policy development or modification
- Implementation planning, timelines, and details
- Hardware (e.g., dedicated hardware, use of Intelligent Infrastructure)
- Operating system
- Application layers and the unit(s) responsible for installation, management, and tier level support
- Funding needs and sources
- Enterprise standards
- Author and unit name
Directions for routing and approval are included in the proposal form.
Note: Purchase requests for distribution to vendors requires approval by the submitter's manager, director, and the UITS Finance Office.
Hospitality expenses are those incurred to provide meals, refreshments, entertainment, or for other promotional purposes. Examples of allowable hospitality expenses include, meals and refreshments served during business meetings, receptions, and other university functions. Please note, hospitality expenses are only allowable at IU events with a bona fide business purpose. All UITS hospitality requests should include an explanation of this business purpose. Please see this link for detailed information regarding allowable hospitality expenses.
- Hospitality Request Form
- Note: Hospitality expense is not permitted on IU accounts that begin with 66.