IU CRM minor enhancement process
How it works
As more IU business units adopt IU CRM, we have seen an increasing demand for minor platform modifications. In order to accommodate these functional change requests, we have established a parallel process for ad hoc and small-scale enhancement requests using agile approaches. This helps us provide sustainable system improvements and avoid functional stagnation.
This process augments the current larger-scoped projects but does not replace or detract from it. We have found it is imperative to incorporate cross-pillar input to allow for global prioritization that maximizes the enterprise value added by each effort.
Each CRM pillar of adoption should designate a representative to serve as point of contact for that CRM pillar. Each representative will be responsible for:
- Receiving quarterly enhancement prioritization list
- Coordinating with others from representative pillar to review and prioritize enhancements
- Coordinating any additional information or clarification needed to complete prioritization ranking
- Completing enhancement prioritization rankings on behalf of their pillar
- Submitting completed rankings document to IU CRM team by designated deadline
Capacity and rate of delivery
The equivalent time of three full-time employees of the UITS CRM team will be dedicated to completing deliverables in the CRM minor enhancement and CRM innovation processes. Resource time and effort will be assigned, but staff is not dedicated exclusively to minor enhancements. The CRM team resources will have rotating assignments to each minor enhancement, and delivery will be based on quarterly roadmap and effort needed for each enhancement.
How it works
- Any CRM user can submit a request for enhancement
- A CRM enhancement form must be completed and submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org
Request Evaluation and Categorization
- Enhancement requests received by the CRM team will be evaluated for categorization
- Each request will be assigned to a CRM analyst for evaluation
- A CRM analyst will work with a CRM administrator to complete the evaluation
- The CRM team may gather additional information or clarification from the requester as needed
- To be categorized as a minor enhancement and qualify for the minor enhancement process, the enhancement must meet the following criteria:
- Cannot require consulting, additional licensing, new product agreements, or any component that requires additional funding
- Must be an enhancement that can be accomplished by the CRM team and existing resources
- Must have a completion time estimate that does not exceed six weeks
- All evaluated and categorized requests will be placed in the CRM request backlog
- Enhancement requests with completed assessments will be maintained in the CRM team backlog
- A prioritization list of all minor enhancements in the backlog will be generated on a quarterly basis
- Minor enhancement prioritization lists will be distributed to each pillar stakeholder group for review, approval, and ranking
- Lists with stakeholder-completed rankings will be returned to the IU CRM team for consolidation
- Rankings of each stakeholder group will be averaged to determine global list prioritization
- A quarterly roadmap will be developed based on averaged rankings and will include the prioritized requests that can be accommodated by allocated resources based on effort estimates
- The order that enhancements are addressed will be determined based on priority rankings and CRM team evaluation of technical dependencies
- Delivery of each minor enhancement will follow established CRM project processes
- Charter Lite documents will be completed for each enhancement, but will not need additional approvals
- Minimal full-time equivalent hours of the functional partners are required based on scope of enhancement and must be allocated by pillar stakeholders
- Enhancements will be completed sequentially, unless resources are available to do multiple enhancements
Watch infoshares, webinars, and other videos on IU CRM.
Get help or general information about UITS services.