Kaltura is a cloud-based video management system that can be used for storing, publishing, and streaming videos, video collections, and other types of media. The system integrates with Canvas, but if you plan to use Kaltura outside of Canvas, you'll work directly with the web-based video management application known as Kaltura MediaSpace. With Kaltura, instructors can upload media and record their screen or webcam. Faculty can use Kaltura to support and enhance traditional, hybrid, and fully online courses. If you plan to use Kaltura outside of Canvas, you'll work directly with the web-based video management application known as Kaltura MediaSpace
Kaltura can help you
- Create video assignments
- Increase active learning through guided lessons
- Demonstrate concepts to help students better connect with material
- Jumpstart discussions on course topics and concepts
- Expand opportunities for critical thinking
- Introduce yourself and the course to students before classes start
- Via Canvas: Find Kaltura in Canvas via your course navigation menu. If you don’t see it there or need help, see How do I manage Course Navigation Links? or contact your teaching and learning center.
- Via Kaltura MediaSpace: Create a new Kaltura account by clicking Guest, selecting Login, then use your IU email and passphrase.
- Kaltura Request Form: Complete this form to request a lecture recording. Submit a request for each class/section separately.
Resources about Kaltura for teaching
Learn more with these resources about Kaltura for IU instructors.
- What is Kaltura MediaSpace?
- Kaltura MediaSpace User Guide
- Kaltura LMS Video Plugins
- Kaltura Video Application for Canvas
- Install and use Kaltura Personal Capture
- What are the supported Transcoding formats for the SaaS edition?
Captioning and transcript features are now integrated into Kaltura (including MediaSpace and Canvas). The captions and transcripts are automatically integrated with the media upon completion.