Associate Vice President, Research Technologies
Office of the Vice President for Information Technology & CIO
Matt Link is associate vice president for UITS Research Technologies and a center director for the Pervasive Technology Institute. Link has been with IU and UITS for more than 20 years and has worked at all levels of the organization. He has a wide range of experience in higher education technologies from supporting faculty to managing large Unix systems, storage environments, and high performance computing.
His deep understanding of cyberinfrastructure and how to support researchers informs his roles as principal investigator (PI) and co-PI on many grants and as a partner with IU researchers to help enable them to continue to lead in research excellence. His current role overseeing Research Technologies includes high performance computing, data storage, visualization, and research collaborations.
Link is also an active member of the steering and executive committees for the IEEE/ACM Supercomputing Conference (SC), and has been involved with the conference since 2003.
Link is a retired volunteer fire fighter with many professional certifications and applies those skills as an active member of IU’s Emergency Management team.
- Stewart, C. A., Knepper, R., Link, M. R., Pierce, M., Wernert, E., Wilkins-Diehr, N. Cyberinfrastructure, Cloud Computing, Science Gateways, Visualization, and Cyberinfrastructure Ease of Use. M. Khosrow-Pour (Ed.), Encyclopedia of Information Science and Technology (Fourth). Hershey, PA: IGI Global. 2018
- Fulton, B., Gallo, S., Henschel, R., Yearke, T., Borner, K., DeLeon, R. L., Link, M. XDMoD Value Analytics: A Tool for Measuring the Financial and Intellectual ROI of Your Campus Cyberinfrastructure Facilities. Proceedings of the Practice and Experience in Advanced Research Computing 2017 on Sustainability, Success and Impact (p. 49:1--49:7). New York, NY, USA: ACM. 2017
- Thota, A. S., Fulton, B., Weakley, L. M. W., Henschel, R., Hancock, D. Y., Allen, M., Stewart, C. A. A PetaFLOPS Supercomputer As a Campus Resource: Innovation, Impact, and Models for Locally-Owned High Performance Computing at Research Colleges and Universities. Proceedings of the 2016 ACM on SIGUCCS Annual Conference (pp. 61-68). New York, NY, USA: ACM. 2016
- Knepper, R., Link, M. R., Standish, M. Big Data on Ice: The Forward Observer System for In-flight Synthetic Aperture Radar Processing. Procedia Computer Science, 51, 1504-1513. 2015
- Stewart, C. A., Knepper, R. D., Link, M. R., Pierce, M., Wernert, E. A., Wilkins-Diehr, N. Cyberinfrastructure, Science Gateways, Campus Bridging, and Cloud Computing. Encyclopedia of Information Science and Technology (Third Edit, Vol. IX). Hershey, PA. 2014
- Knepper, R. J., Hallock, B. L., Stewart, C. A., Link, M. R., Jacobs, M. Rockhopper: A True HPC System with Cloud Concepts, IEEE Cluster 2013. Indianapolis, IN. 2013
- Henschel, R., Simms, S., Hancock, D., Michael, S., Johnson, T., Heald, N., Stewart, C. A. Demonstrating Lustre over a 100Gbps Wide Area Network of 3,500Km. Proceedings of the International Conference on High Performance Computing, Networking, Storage and Analysis (p. 6:1--6:8). Los Alamitos, CA, USA: IEEE Computer Society Press. 2012
- Michael, S., Zhen, L., Henschel, R., Simms, S., Barton, E., Link, M. R. A study of lustre networking over a 100 gigabit wide area network with 50 milliseconds of latency. DIDC'12 - 5th International Workshop on Data-Intensive Distributed Computing (pp. 43-51). 2012
- Stewart, C. A., Link, M., McCaulay, D. S., Rodgers, G., Turner, G., Hancock, D., Plale, B. Implementation, performance, and science results from a 30.7 TFLOPS IBM BladeCenter cluster. Concurrency and Computation: Practice and Experience, 22(2), 157-174. 2010
- Stewart, C. A., Simms, S., Plale, B., Link, M. R., Hancock, D. Y., Fox, G. C. What is cyberinfrastructure? Proceedings ACM SIGUCCS User Services Conference (pp. 37-44). 2010
- McCaulay, S. D., Link, M. R., Turner, G., Hancock, D. Y., Morris, M., Stewart, C. A. Powerful New Research Computing System Available Via the TeraGrid. IEEE/ACM 2006 Supercomputing Conference. Tampa, FL. 2006
- McCaulay, S. D., Link, M. R. Research data storage available to researchers throughout the US via the TeraGrid. The 34th annual ACM SIGUCCS fall conference (pp. 231-234). Edmonton, Alberta, Canada: ACM. 2006
- Simms, S., Davy, M., Hammond, B., Link, M., Stewart, C. A., Bramley, R., Pike, G. All in a day's work: Advancing data-intensive research with the data capacitor. Proceedings of the 2006 ACM/IEEE Conference on Supercomputing, SC'06 (p. 244). ACM Press. 2006
- Myron, S. A., Knepper, R., Link, M., Stewart, C. PubsOnline: Open Source Bibliography Database. Proceedings of the 33rd Annual ACM SIGUCCS Conference on User Services (pp. 247-249). New York, NY, USA: ACM. 2005
- Link, M. R. Transforming support: From helpdesk to information center. Proceedings ACM SIGUCCS User Services Conference (pp. 272-274). 2002
- Return on Investment for three cyberinfrastructure facilities: a local campus supercomputer; the NSF-funded Jetstream cloud system; and XSEDE (the eXtreme Science and Engineering Discovery Environment). IEEE Utility and Cloud Computing. December 17-20, 2018.