Storage at IU
NOTE: Currently, the creation of Google Shared Drives is restricted to the following options:
- to simplify the process of migrating institutional data to Microsoft Teams
- for users who want to pay for storage in Google
Existing shared drives will continue to work normally. For more, see About storage in Google at IU.
Choosing where to store your files depends on whether they are individual or institutional files.
Individual files are specific to you such as family photos, your resume, or personal tax documents. IU faculty, staff, and students can store individual files in Microsoft OneDrive at IU or Google at IU My Drive.
- Microsoft: Best for storing, sharing, and collaborating on Microsoft documents (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) when you desire integration with Exchange email, calendars, and chat. A Canvas integration is available.
- Google: Best for storing, sharing, and collaborating on Google Docs, Google Sheets, and Google Slides. A Canvas integration is available.
If you were to separate from IU and no one else could access these files, would it cause problems for your department, collaborators, or others within the university? If so, they're most likely institutional (work) files. If any of the files are classified as Public data, University-Internal data, Restricted data (such as grades), or Critical data (such as PHI) data, they would also be classified as institutional. Examples include most research data, course files (lesson plans, syllabi, etc.), training manuals, files associated with IU committees, labs, and student groups.
- Microsoft Teams at IU
- Microsoft at IU Secure Storage (for sensitive data)
Each has features that make it best suited to certain uses, and the IU Knowledge Base offers a handy table for comparison. Use the Request institutional storage form which instantly creates a new storage location that has the needed security attributes and appropriate people/accounts have the access needed.
Getting started with institutional storage
Find the research data storage you need
Community of Practice
Find more help
Learn more about IU's records retention policies and connect with the archives.
The IU Cloud Storage Portal provides a way for you to choose from several locations in the cloud to store your files.
Sign up for webinars or watch training session recordings to learn about IU's storage options.
Get help with file storage or general information about UITS services.