Exploring and advancing digital education
UITS Learning Technologies partners with faculty to investigate tools and approaches that extend and deepen digital learning environments at IU.
In-progress pilots include:
Discovering what’s next
As students evolve, so do the systems and tools that shape the way we engage, educate, and inspire them.
That’s where Next.IU comes in.
The pilot program goes beyond the latest trends to discover which technologies best serve IU’s needs for education—in the traditional classroom and flipped, hybrid, and fully-online learning environments.
Contact us if you’d like to participate in a pilot or suggest a tool for evaluation.
Next.IU launched as a two-year pilot program to explore the next generation of learning technologies. The program evaluated three learning management systems (LMS)—Canvas by Instructure, Desire2Learn, and Blackboard. In 2014, the university selected Canvas as the successor to Oncourse.*
Recently adopted tools include:
* Oncourse is "read only" and no longer available for active teaching.
- Kaltura: Cloud-based video management system
- Piazza: Online problem-solving (Q&A) platform
- Qualtrics: Cloud-based survey tool
- Top Hat: Bring your own device student response system
- VoiceThread: Online tool to enhance student engagement
- Respondus LockDown Browser: Controlled testing environment
- Zoom: Web collaboration tool