Exchange Migration Checklist
- Before your account is migrated
- Please update any mobile mail clients to use the firstname.lastname@example.org value, instead of the ads\username setting. This will also need to be changed on Mac versions of Outlook.
- Please make sure your clients are using Modern Auth/OAUTH2 protocols. IMAP4 will not be supported in Exchange Online.
- You may receive some licensing emails from Office 365 that state new features (e.g., audio conferencing) are available in your subscription. Nothing needs to be done in regard to these emails.
- What to expect the day of your migration
- Outlook clients will inform you that "Administrators have made a change to your account that will require you to restart." This will indicate your mailbox migration is complete. Restart the Outlook client. • You may be prompted to accept a new Autodiscover URL on restart. Allow this source and check the box to always use my response for this server.
- Be aware of the known issues with Exchange Online. This document will be updated as we have more to share or resolve issues.
- Other users that have your calendar open as a "shared calendar" may be prompted to re-enter their credentials. If you are contacted by someone with this prompt, remind them they need to login as email@example.com, not the ads\username pattern to this authentication prompt.
- The Outlook web interface URL will change. Please use: https://outlook.office365.com/owa/iu.edu to access mail via the web.
- After you've been migrated
- Microsoft Teams will begin showing your Exchange calendar within a day or two, and you can book future meetings in the application, even with on-premise users.
- My Analytics will begin feeding you information about your mail and meeting habits. This is private information, not available to anyone else at IU.
- If your department has resource rooms that were not included in your initial migration, or new users are added to your department and need to be migrated to Exchange Online, please contact your dedicated IT support group.
Office 365 is a subscription-based service that provides multiple options for accessing the newest versions of Microsoft Office. Office 365 includes the desktop client for Windows and macOS, cloud-based Office Online apps, and mobile apps for your smartphone or tablet. The service is free to all IU currently enrolled students, and all faculty and staff. You can install it on up to five PCs or Macs, five tablets (Windows, iPad, and Android), and five phones.
Please note: Microsoft OneDrive at IU storage is approved for institutional data classified as Public or University-internal. For work involving Restricted data or Critical data , you must use Microsoft at IU Secure Storage.